Skip to main content

Parenting

All of us have grown up in different ways. Some may have grown up with both parents in the home or even only one parent in the home. Maybe even both parents, but one parent is always out of the house and they only see each other on the weekends. That one would be the hardest for me only seeing one of my parents on the weekend and the other one every single day.

I'm going to tell you a little about how I was raised in my home with both my parents. As I've said in may of my other blog posts my dad is a stay at home dad. Growing up my parents had different techniques of talking to the child when they were upset.

In class we talked about how parents should punish their child. How children who are talked to calmly rather then being yelled at can be more effective.  Let me tell you that I was yelled at also talked to very calmly and I'd like to say that the calmly talking hit me harder then the yelling, but they both got to me. When I got yelled at it made me fear that parent more then the other which also made me want to go to the other parent rather then the parent who yells at me in fear of being yelled at.

When I was in the 7th grade and also freshman year of high school I wasn't do too good in school. I wasn't failing all of my classes, but I had 1 or 2 F's in my classes. My parents found out and were upset at me because I didn't tell them and they had to find out from my coach on the reason I didn't play in my game. When I got home that night my parents had a talk with me. I got yelled at by one parent and when that parent was done yelling my other parent just talked to me calmly and told me how disappointed they were.

Growing up with both of the kinds of punishers I'll like to say that the calm talking to the child about how you feel is more effective then being yelled at. The way you word your sentences to your child talking to them about how you feel when they do a certain thing can leave a big affect on that child and they wouldn't want you to feel like that again.

I know that when I have children of my own I want to have an amazing relationship with them not just when their children, but especially when they are teenagers and doing all the changing. In order to have a good relationship I have to gain my children's trust from a young age that they can come to me for anything without me getting upset. I'll listen to what they have to say and when their finished I'll just calmly talk to them just like how my one parent did to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage VS. Wedding

I would like you to think about how old you were when you started to think about your wedding day. Many girls about age 12 is when they start to dream about their wedding day, but what's wrong with that is that the marriage continues after the wedding day. The wedding day is just ONE day and marriage is for eternity. Did you know that a typical wedding costs about $27,000 - $38,000? That's a bunch of money that you could be using for something else like your honeymoon, your future children or just to have fun and buy random items you don't need, but want. Save more money on the wedding and spend it on other important things. I know many people in my family that have saved money on their weddings and it was still a very special day. One of the weddings I went to was in the backyard of my grandparents house! All the bride and groom needed to pay for was the chairs that were rented and the arc with flowers on it. The arc you think would've been real expensive, but it r

Family Relations

Taking this class has taught me so much about the family life. My all time favorite item that we talked about that if your parents growing up weren't the best at parenting together meaning working as a team or just not the best in general then you can change that for your future children. I know that for me I want to change some parenting techniques that my parents did while I was growing up. My parents had 2 different techniques on parenting and only one of them actually worked and the other one just made me fear that parent. The technique that worked for me is the disappointed technique. I will change it a little bit so my children don't feel too bad when they get into trouble. I also really enjoyed learning about the genogram of a family. Like I said in my genogram blog my dad took on a role as father with his siblings and he still has that job today. It's been 22 years since my grandfather passed away and my dad still is taking care of his mother and his sisters. Wh