Skip to main content

The Family

In the 2nd week of Family Relations class we talked about the different positions on family. I learned that the average marriage age for LDS people is 24,26, but if they aren't LDS it's 28,30. These numbers really surprised me because I'm a LDS person and I have seen many friends or family around me getting married before the average marriage age both for the world and LDS. Even family and friends that aren't members are getting married before the average age. Another one that really surprised me was that Co-habitation is going up while the marriage is going down. I know many people who are co-habituating as well. Some of them are engaged and others are just living together. Majority of them have kids with each other which isn't always the best because if they decide they don't want to be together anymore than the kids will be have to be living every other week or weekend with the other parent if they get joint custody. Which isn't the best on the kids because then they grow up living in two different homes and that can be stressful on the kids and confusing as well if they are too young. 

We watched a video that talked about a book called "The Population Bomb" that came out during the baby boom generation. It was talking about how we should be scared to have children because the earth can only have so many people in the world at a time. It talked about starvation happening in the 70's which didn't happen until later. It also talked about there was going to be no more oil in the 80's which once again didn't happen, but people still read this book and are scared of bringing kids into the world because of everything that could happen.

I really enjoyed when my professor asked the woman in the class what it was like growing up with brothers in the house and how it shaped them. I have all brothers as siblings and growing up with them showed me how a man should act and how I should be treated. These things I hadn't realize I had learned from them until my professor asked this question because it made me really think about my siblings and the good things. My brothers and I weren't always the closest of siblings until we all started getting lives and moving out of the house into the real world. I saw all my brothers leave in a space of 6 months either marriage, mission or college. I was the last one left at home and I was lonely without them so I would just text or call my brother at college. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage VS. Wedding

I would like you to think about how old you were when you started to think about your wedding day. Many girls about age 12 is when they start to dream about their wedding day, but what's wrong with that is that the marriage continues after the wedding day. The wedding day is just ONE day and marriage is for eternity. Did you know that a typical wedding costs about $27,000 - $38,000? That's a bunch of money that you could be using for something else like your honeymoon, your future children or just to have fun and buy random items you don't need, but want. Save more money on the wedding and spend it on other important things. I know many people in my family that have saved money on their weddings and it was still a very special day. One of the weddings I went to was in the backyard of my grandparents house! All the bride and groom needed to pay for was the chairs that were rented and the arc with flowers on it. The arc you think would've been real expensive, but it r

Family Relations

Taking this class has taught me so much about the family life. My all time favorite item that we talked about that if your parents growing up weren't the best at parenting together meaning working as a team or just not the best in general then you can change that for your future children. I know that for me I want to change some parenting techniques that my parents did while I was growing up. My parents had 2 different techniques on parenting and only one of them actually worked and the other one just made me fear that parent. The technique that worked for me is the disappointed technique. I will change it a little bit so my children don't feel too bad when they get into trouble. I also really enjoyed learning about the genogram of a family. Like I said in my genogram blog my dad took on a role as father with his siblings and he still has that job today. It's been 22 years since my grandfather passed away and my dad still is taking care of his mother and his sisters. Wh

Parenting

All of us have grown up in different ways. Some may have grown up with both parents in the home or even only one parent in the home. Maybe even both parents, but one parent is always out of the house and they only see each other on the weekends. That one would be the hardest for me only seeing one of my parents on the weekend and the other one every single day. I'm going to tell you a little about how I was raised in my home with both my parents. As I've said in may of my other blog posts my dad is a stay at home dad. Growing up my parents had different techniques of talking to the child when they were upset. In class we talked about how parents should punish their child. How children who are talked to calmly rather then being yelled at can be more effective.  Let me tell you that I was yelled at also talked to very calmly and I'd like to say that the calmly talking hit me harder then the yelling, but they both got to me. When I got yelled at it made me fear that parent