Skip to main content

My Genogram Family

This week the topic made me think a lot about my family at home. A genogram is just like a family tree, but instead it shows the relationships in the family as well. I made a genogram of my family and I'll tell you a little about what I learned.

Let me tell you about my dads side of the family. My dads father passed away in the Fall of 1996. It was a death that everyone was dreading, but knew would be for the best. My dad took on the role of the father in his family, even though he had a family of his own at home. When my oldest brother turned 16 he took on the role of a father because at that time my dad was a stay at home dad due to him getting injured at work and not being allowed to go back. My dad was still our dad, but he would be off taking care of his side of the family or he would be down due to his injury. When I turned 16 as well I took on a small role of mother of the family. My mom would leave me a list of things I had to do for that day.  I would do the grocery shopping for my family and I would cook meals for my family as well

The relationship with my dad and his mother wasn't the healthiest. My dad would be acting like the parent and his mother was the child when in reality that wasn't the case. He would treat his siblings the same way he did before his fathers death, but trying to help them a little like a parent. This made me realize that my grandpa was the glue to the family and once he was gone the family broke. My dad tried his hardest to pick up the pieces and fix the family, but there will always be a couple of pieces missing from the family that can't be brought back.

My dad has been taking care of his side of the family for about 22 years now. I have seen that effect my dad and moms relationship as a married couple. While I was away for college my first semester my mom picked me up when I was finished with the semester. On the way back she told me all these things that had happened while I was away. My mom was telling me a story about my dad doing things for his family even though he really shouldn't have because he wasn't 100% himself. My mom told me that she told my dad that he needed to stop and take care of himself before anyone else because he had a family of his own at home that needed him at there graduations, to seeing their grandchildren and to be a dad to his kids. When she told me these things I completely agreed with her because we need our dad in our lives and our future kids lives as well.

Do you have a similar genogram family or completely opposite? Let me know down in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage VS. Wedding

I would like you to think about how old you were when you started to think about your wedding day. Many girls about age 12 is when they start to dream about their wedding day, but what's wrong with that is that the marriage continues after the wedding day. The wedding day is just ONE day and marriage is for eternity. Did you know that a typical wedding costs about $27,000 - $38,000? That's a bunch of money that you could be using for something else like your honeymoon, your future children or just to have fun and buy random items you don't need, but want. Save more money on the wedding and spend it on other important things. I know many people in my family that have saved money on their weddings and it was still a very special day. One of the weddings I went to was in the backyard of my grandparents house! All the bride and groom needed to pay for was the chairs that were rented and the arc with flowers on it. The arc you think would've been real expensive, but it r

Family Relations

Taking this class has taught me so much about the family life. My all time favorite item that we talked about that if your parents growing up weren't the best at parenting together meaning working as a team or just not the best in general then you can change that for your future children. I know that for me I want to change some parenting techniques that my parents did while I was growing up. My parents had 2 different techniques on parenting and only one of them actually worked and the other one just made me fear that parent. The technique that worked for me is the disappointed technique. I will change it a little bit so my children don't feel too bad when they get into trouble. I also really enjoyed learning about the genogram of a family. Like I said in my genogram blog my dad took on a role as father with his siblings and he still has that job today. It's been 22 years since my grandfather passed away and my dad still is taking care of his mother and his sisters. Wh

Parenting

All of us have grown up in different ways. Some may have grown up with both parents in the home or even only one parent in the home. Maybe even both parents, but one parent is always out of the house and they only see each other on the weekends. That one would be the hardest for me only seeing one of my parents on the weekend and the other one every single day. I'm going to tell you a little about how I was raised in my home with both my parents. As I've said in may of my other blog posts my dad is a stay at home dad. Growing up my parents had different techniques of talking to the child when they were upset. In class we talked about how parents should punish their child. How children who are talked to calmly rather then being yelled at can be more effective.  Let me tell you that I was yelled at also talked to very calmly and I'd like to say that the calmly talking hit me harder then the yelling, but they both got to me. When I got yelled at it made me fear that parent